HOTEL HISTORY

FROM HOUSE TO HOTEL

Our Hotel Kastanienhof is located in two former residential buildings at Kastanienallee 65 and 66 in Berlin Mitte. As the first houses in this area, they were built around 1865. The balcony- and bay-less buildings are typical for that time - the stucco was robbed from them only in the 60s of the 20th century. Today, the smooth building front is broken up with individually adjustable drop-arm awnings and light bands on the facade.


The property has been owned by the Hauptmann family for over 70 years.


The grandfather, Boleslaus Schulz, who ran a butcher shop a few houses away, acquired the property in the early 1930s.


The houses survived the war well. In 1945, a Russian commandant's office set up shop at Kastanienallee 66.

During the GDR era, they were again used as tenement houses. During this time, despite much personal effort, the building fabric was more poorly preserved.

After the reunification, the Hauptmann family decided to build a hotel pension and began with the careful renovation. On April 1, 1992, the hotel was opened with six rooms - meanwhile there are 44. With the facade redesign in 2005, our house has now also completed the step from a Berlin apartment building to a hotel.

Hotel Kastanienhof - Hotel building
Kastanienallee 65 around 1904
Hotel Kastanienhof - Hotel building
Kastanienallee 65 around 1990


Chronicle of the Kastanienallee 65/66

  • 1826: Kastanienallee is laid out between Verlorener Weg (today Schwedter Straße) and Schönhauser Allee by Wilhelm Griebenow (1784-1865) and named after the chestnut trees planted on both sides.

  • 1837: At the northern end of Kastanienallee there is a stopping place for wagons with a beer bar, the forerunner of the later "Prater" amusement establishment.

  • 1856: Kastanienallee is extended to today's Fehrbelliner Strasse.

  • 1858: A three-story side building is erected on the southern boundary of the property, the oldest surviving part of today's development

  • 1862: The city council approves the purchase of the area for the passage of the Kastanienallee to the Weinbergsweg, 297.5 square rods, 4,500.00 thalers plus 1,500 thalers for the fencing along the street.

  • 1863: Resolution to regulate and pave Kastanienallee from Weinbergsweg to Schwedter Straße, at a cost of 6,500.00 thalers.

  • 1865: The city council approves the paving of the sidewalks in extension of Weinbergsweg.

  • 1866: Renumbering of the properties Kastanienallee (40)65 and (41)66 Plan In the middle of the 19th century there are only isolated houses in the southern part of Kastanienallee. On maps from that time, one building can be seen on the later hotel site, Kurtz's house. It stood set back from the street, in the middle of a large plot of land that extended to Verlorenen Weg (Schwedter Straße).

  • 1865/66: Two four-story residential buildings were built on the land directly on Kastanienallee. According to fire insurance files, a "well with an iron swivel" and the sewage pit are part of the property equipment until the houses are connected to the public drinking water supply and sewage system (ca. 1877).

  • 1876: 14 gas candelabra are installed between Fehrbelliner Strasse and Schönhauser Allee.

  • 1885: Acquisition of the sidewalk in front of the properties 65+66 for 10.00/m², assumption of the sidewalk regulation costs by the city.

  • 1886 to 1887: repaving of the Kastanienallee in connection with the construction of the horse-drawn tramway

  • 1889 to 1890: Planting of 200 trees between Zionskirchstrasse and Schönhauser Allee Cost: 15.00 M per tree

  • 1896: Towards the end of the 19th century, the development of Kastanienallee was completed and many stores and pubs were built. During this period, highly modern horse-drawn streetcars ran through Kastanienallee. The first floor of numbers 65/66 housed a materials storage room, a watchmaker, a second-hand salesman, and a mail-order business was located in the rear courtyard. Courtyard situation Kastanienallee 65 until 1989 with sheds and garages

  • 1913: 17 years later, the business structure changed. A furniture store was built on the first floor, one of many around Zionskirchplatz, such as "Höffner" in Veteranenstraße. Kastanienallee and its surroundings developed into a lively residential area that was much frequented, not least because it could be traveled on the now electric streetcar with six different lines. The building with the land was sold by the heirs and acquired by a foundation. After that, there were constantly changing owners. The grandparents of the present house owner bought the house. Around this time the first renovations were made. Among other things, the first toilet facilities were moved from the courtyard to the houses. There were many traces of destruction in Kastanienallee as a result of the Second World War, but with good luck the houses were still in good condition in 65/66. Immediately after the war, the Red Army confiscated the house with number 66 and use it as headquarters.

  • 1946: The houses in Kastanienallee were reconstructed and the first streetcar ran along Kastanienallee again.

  • 1947: The Red Army headquarters were closed and both houses were used as living quarters again.

  • 1965: Forced reconstruction in the GDR. The stucco facade was chipped off and renewed with rough plaster.

Because the history of our house is so exciting and our family accompanied the house and the area before and through the National Socialism, war, GDR and Wendezeit until today we have made a book.


It contains among other things the chapters:


- How the Kastanienallee came into being

- The carriage business of Louis Kurtz and others (around 1920)

- Of the early trade and change in the Kastanienallee...

- War and post-war in Kastanienallee

- From a boarding house to a three-star superior hotel


Book Berlin Kastanienallee Hotel Family History Book about Kastanienallee and Hauptmann Family.

 History Kastanienenhof4 212x300 table of contents with location


Table of Content of the Book about Kastanienallee and Hauptmann Family Table of Content and Butcher Schulz Kastanienallee 62.

Around the hotel

The history of a street - does not sound very interesting. But a street is an organ in the body of a city. The history that a city experiences can be found on a small scale in the street. In Brunnenstraße, for example, you can see how a sandy desert was settled, how the poorest people settled near it, how the townspeople used it to get to their outing places in the Gesundbrunnen.

Since the middle of the 19th century, numerous breweries settled in Prenzlauer Berg. One of the first was the Königstadt AG brewery on Saarbrücker Strasse, now a cooperative commercial center, and the former Schultheiss-Brauerei AG, now the Kulturbrauerei on Schönhauser Allee.

The underground buildings of Prenzlauer Berg reflect the history of Berlin since 1850. They tell of the industrial revolution, the emerging metropolis with its urban technology, the workers' culture, the terror of the National Socialists, the economic conditions in the GDR, and today's art and cultural scene in the district. Guided tours through the "underworld" of Prenzlauer Berg are organized by the association "Unter Berlin e. V."

Most of the city was destroyed. 80 million tons of rubble had to be removed. The streetcar track network was badly affected, 95 percent of the masts were unusable and four streetcar depots - Schöneberg, Kreuzberg, Spandau and Treptow, were almost completely destroyed.

 

Our Rooms

Discover our themed rooms and get up close to places steeped in history in Berlin.

ADDRESS

Kastanienallee 65

10119 Berlin

Kastanienallee 65

10119 Berlin

Social Media

Concept, Marketing, Design and Programming by myhotelshop | Copyright © 2022